General rules – Plain English Version
1. The content of this site are protected by copyright. You are welcome to browse our information and print out extracts for your private use, but you cannot reproduce, distribute, or store all or part of this site in any form unless we give you permission in writing.
2. Our site is as available and is as accurate as we can make it. That said, there may be errors with the site and there will be times when the site or parts of the site are unavailable.
3. All information contained on this site (including these terms) are subject to change without notice.
4. We do promote select products, services and other companies. In some cases (not all), we may receive an affiliate fee for the sale or referral. The site may contain advertorial content.
5. We regularly scan all of our material available for download for viruses – but no system is 100% secure. We ask that you take your own precautions as we cannot guarantee that our site is free from viruses or other conditions that may damage or interfere with your data, hardware, or software.
6. We work hard to comply with the laws of Australia in relation to our site. But we make no representation that this site complies with the laws of any country outside Australia.
Rules for Our Blog & Commenting on Our Site
1. If you comment on our site or blog, we will personally review each comment before it goes live to ensure compliance with our site terms.
2. We ask you to treat people with respect and courtesy in your comments. We welcome robust discussion and comments on ideas and concepts, but any slander, defamation, vilification or bad-mouthing of individuals is not welcome on this site. It is OK to disagree with a post or another person’s viewpoint and these posts are welcome. It is not OK to personally attack the person making the post or comment.
3. Do not breach copyright with your comments.
4. Don’t spam. All spam comments will be automatically deleted.
5. Comments should be relevant to the subject matter.
6. Don’t post bugs, hacks, pornography, threats, offensive language, illegal material, or links to these. They will be automatically deleted.
a) your name;
b) username; and
c) any opinions, information, content or data that you have uploaded to the site, or any other content that you publish, display, link to or otherwise make available on the site.
This site is owned and operated by Accounting for Small Business Pty Ltd (“we”, “us”, “I”, “AFSB” ).
Your Warranties and Obligations
To use the site, you must:
- use the site in good faith.
You must not:
- post or send any material, or do anything which is unlawful, offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory or menacing, or in breach of any rights of others;
- post commercial advertisements or promotional material;
- disclose your user name or password (if any) to any other person.
Intellectual Property Rights
The material on the site is protected under Australian and international copyright and other laws governing protection of intellectual property rights. You must not sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, create derivative works from, adapt, or edit such materials. However, you may copy (either electronically or in hard copy) material on the site only for personal, non-commercial use.
You agree that you will not at any time apply for any letters patent, design registration, trade mark registration or other form of protection whatever in Australia or elsewhere in respect of our intellectual property.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
You use the site at your sole risk. The site contains material from many different sources. We make no representation and do not warrant that the information provided on the site is complete, accurate or current.
Nothing on this site is intended as legal or financial advice. We recommend that you seek independent expert advice before relying on any material from the site.
Our website, blog and email newsletters are educational and informational resources for business owners. The information contained in such resources is for information purposes only and is not designed to provide specific advice about your situation. They are not a substitute for working with an accountant, bookkeeper, solicitor or other professional. We cannot guarantee the outcome of following the recommendations provided and any statements made regarding the potential outcome are expressions of opinion only. We make no guarantees about the information and recommendations provided herein. By continuing to use, read and/or participate with our website, blog and email newsletters you acknowledge that we cannot guarantee any particular results, as such outcomes are based on subjective factors that are not within our control. Therefore, following any information or recommendations provided on our website, blog and email newsletters is at your own risk. If you need business advice, you should hire an accountant, bookkeeper, solicitor or other professional.
The information, services and material contained in this site are provided on an “as is” basis. To the maximum extent permitted by law, we exclude all representations and warranties, express or implied, with respect to such information, services and materials, whether provided by us, third party contractors or other users.
The use of the site and the services are at your sole risk. We, our officers, employees and agents exclude all liability for any loss or damage of any type whatsoever suffered by any person in connection with your use of the site or the services. You specifically agree to release, defend, indemnify and hold us, our affiliated companies, and our officers, directors, employees and agents harmless from any and all liability, damages, or losses of any type, including consequential and punitive damages, suffered by you or any third party, even if such damages or losses are contributed to or caused by our sole or concurrent fault or negligence (other than gross negligence) or our affiliated companies, or officers, directors, employees, or agents.This limitation of liability extends to loss, damage or personal injury caused directly or indirectly by your access to or inability to access this site, and your reliance on any information provided in the site, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages or injury.
Links to other websites
Our website may provide links or references to other sites for your convenience. We do not control or endorse these sites, and are not responsible or liable for the accuracy, legality, or any other aspect of the content of such sites or for any damage or injury arising in connection with your access to such sites.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Western Australia, Australia and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Western Australia.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page regularly to ensure that you are at all times aware of the current policy. This policy is effective from 12 March 2014.
Collection of personal information
We may ask you to provide the following information:
- job title;
- contact information, including email address;
- demographic information such as address, postcode, preferences and interests; and
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or promotions.
We do not collect sensitive information about visitors to our website.
As with most online businesses, we may log information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your internet service provider.
We may contact you to voluntarily respond to questionnaires, surveys or market research to seek your opinion and feedback. Providing this information is optional to you.
If we receive your personal information from third parties, we will protect it as set out in this Policy.
Use of personal information
We collect and use the personal information for purposes including:
- to better understand your needs, enabling us to improve our products and services;
- for internal record keeping;
- to circulate promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting;
- direct marketing;
- to contact you (by telephone, email, fax or mail) for market research purposes; and
- to customise the website according to your interests.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose personal information:
- for the purpose of providing services to customers;
- to credit reporting agencies and courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities where customers fail to pay for goods or services provided by us to them;
- to courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities, and law enforcement officers as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; and
- to third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. We may outsource technological or administrative projects to overseas providers where local services are unavailable or are cost prohibitive. In such cases, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles. Countries in which we may engage providers to complete this type of activity include New Zealand and Vietnam.
If there is a change of control of our business or a sale or transfer of business assets, we reserve the right to transfer to the extent permissible at law our user databases, together with any personal information and non-personal information contained in those databases. This information may be disclosed to a potential purchaser, provided that, where possible, any personal information will be de-identified. We would seek to only disclose information in good faith and where we have sought to maintain confidentiality.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used for direct marketing purposes; and
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting, if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of information. If you would like a copy of the information which we hold about you please write to Suite 1, 8 Preston Street, COMO, Western Australia, 6152, Australia or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond within a reasonable time. We may refuse to provide you with information that we hold about you, in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act.
If you believe that any information we hold on you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please email us at email@example.com. We will respond to any request within a reasonable time and will endeavor to promptly correct any personal information found to be incorrect so that the personal information is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading. If we do not agree to make changes to your personal information:
- we will provide you with the reasons for our decision, except to the extent that it would be unreasonable to do so;
- the mechanisms available to complain about the refusal; and
- any other matter prescribed by the regulations.
You may request that a statement of the request for the amendment be associated with your personal information and we will take reasonable steps to do so, and associate the statement in such a way that will make the statement apparent to users of the information.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose which the information may be needed or disclosed.
We will endeavour to make sure that the information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
We will endeavour to take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information that we use or disclose is, having regard to the purpose of the use or disclosure, accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.
Storage and Security
We are committed to ensuring that the information you provide is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies & Web Beacons
We may use web beacons on this Site from time to time. Web beacons or clear .gifs are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the behaviour and collect data about the visitors viewing a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint about that breach then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org setting out details of the breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing setting out the outcome of our investigation, what steps we propose to take to remedy the breach and any other action we will take to deal with your complaint.
You agree to indemnify, and hold harmless us and our directors, employees, contractors or other representatives from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including legal fees that arise from your use or misuse of this site. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defence and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defences.
Amendments to this policy
This policy may be amended from time to time. Your continued use of our website following any such amendments will be deemed to be confirmation that you accept those amendments.
Links to Third Party Sites
This site may provide links or references to other sites for your convenience. We do not control or endorse these sites, and are not responsible or liable for the accuracy, legality, or any other aspect of the content of such sites or for any damage or injury arising in connection with your access to such sites.
Termination of Access